What have you done to your bike today....

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Leave it out! Proper Lundun me :)

So a bit Oirish, a bit French (Huguenot) and a bit whoever else washed up in the docks or wandered down looking for work.

DS
Hugenot 🤯

I don't know what it is but it sounds a bit gay😱

French and gay..I can't imagine how you got through life without having some serious therapy of the attack helicopter kill em all kind😉

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
That looks impressive - what is it?

DS
A gearbox from an RAF Tornado fighter.
Obviously a jet doesn't have gears but they call that part a gearbox.
I guess that's because various ancillary parts fit into this side (once those gold covers are removed)
@Don the Don can give you the full lowdown. He worked on the Tornado for many years.
20210513_163838.jpg
I've got a couple of them to turn into coffee tables. The one above has paperwork to prove it was in fighters assigned to 617Sq. According to Don, that adds instant value to any collector of RAF memorabilia 🙂
I'd like to keep one. But Mrs DD is far less keen. So I guess they could both be up for grabs?

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Hmmm I think that, if I was going for an aviation coffee table I'd prefer something a little more easily recognised by the layman like a nice rotary or radial engine. Now the turbine from a Jet Engine would make a cracking basis for a coffee table. There's a turbine module from a Harrier Pegasus engine on Fleabay right now for £600, three foot diameter so perfect for a coffee table too! 🤔

Last edited:

Freck

Legendary Knight
A paper weight at the moment, about time he got it completed,

Secondary Power System (tornado-data.com)
Definitely, it’s got to be knocking on a year since he got them.
The gearbox is driven and drives the engine. Drives as in it has a starter attached to it that turns over the engine to get it fired, and then the engine once started drives the box which in turn runs the hydraulic pump, electrical generator and ancillaries (fuel pumps etc)

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
Hmmm I think that, if I was going for an aviation coffee table I'd prefer something a little more easily recognised by the layman like a nice rotary or radial engine. Now the turbine from a Jet Engine would make a cracking basis for a coffee table. There's a turbine module from a Harrier Pegasus engine on Fleabay right now for £600 quid, three foot diameter so perfect for a coffee table too! 🤔
Well it won’t be the first stage......the single engine stick outs either side of the fuselage. I visited Filton in 1988 where they were building Pegasus engines and the accuracy with which each blade was made, measured and checked really rammed home what a bodger I was! Then seeing at Gutersloh how few bolts held the bloody wings on.....