What have you done to your bike today....

Tallpaul

Legendary Knight
I'm part way through a sprocket and chain set swap on the T800, just came in for a coffee and a piss. While we were riding in bonnie Scotland, I noticed a rythmical light tapping, based on road speed, mostly when pulling uphill. Spoke to a mate in the trade and he suggested final transmission. I found 3 tight links in the chain and a small amount of hooking on the front sprocket, though not excessive. Anyway, quick search on ebay and Edinburgh Triumph have OEM sets for less than £100 delivered overnight. It's all back together and just the soft link to insert and rivet over. then front sprocket cover and chain guard.
Success. A decent 220 mile thrash over to Aberystwyth for fish and chips on the promenade. Quieter transmission, no more tapping and much cleaner shifting. A tick and a gold star for me, I think!

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
Went to take a run out, ignition on, clutch in, choke on...... Clikkk. Nothing. Battery fully charged, so thinking its the starter. The relay is obviously working or I'd get no click?

Now... Just by chance, I have a spare starter. Was going to do the job today as I had time... But things never go to plan, do they? I ended up having to go up to John o Groats to collect a Brahma cockerell. So job not started.

And what an arse of a job it looks too... Fairing off to get the rad cap off (yeah, like I'm doing that, I'll get the bastard off without that) coolant drained, as there's a hose across the back of the starter... Manual reckons tank and carbs off... We'll see.

Thinking ahead, ethylene glycol to refill, you reckon.?

I thought the new battery had sorted this, it was fine for months, but when I want a run out on the spur of the moment. Oh well.

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
Is there a clutch switch on your bike @Big Sandy ? Maybe that has gotten stuck? On my Sprint, if I don't pull my clutch in I still get a click but no starter motor.
Now, there's a thought.

Sidestand switch, I know they give problems... Clutch switch though... Seeing as it won't start with the clutch out, I guess there must be. I'll investigate tomorrow!

The other thing that makes me think starter is that it's also a bit on the lazy side. I was going to clean up the wiring, we all know what a fork bad earths etc are... But again, can't get at the bastid thing without draining coolant.

But yeah, clutch switch... Worth a punt. Thanks @MartytheMartian

chas

Legendary Knight
I’m talking about the grey lead salts now missing from tail pipes forwards!
I'll confess though my crude method was to go rich then come down in steps till it'd rev out in 4th under load. We weren't tuning for economy, after all.
Before they joined the M20 between Ashford and Maidstone the initial on ramp to the coastbound M20 from Ashford was perfect for testing as you had another junction the other side of town and it was mild uphill. And obviously not that busy.

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
There should be a couple of small rubber blocks holding it away from the radiator Duck.
Check they haven't fallen off, or the guard will be rubbing on the radiator.
It's a stupid design cos there's only one fixing point! 🙄
In fairness I had the same issue on the sprint...I just super glued some extra rubber strips on the back of the grill protector and hey presto ...Will possibly have to wait till next Sunday now though as I got a six day week totaling 70hrs..Really want that fresh start...

half ton

Legendary Knight
Went to take a run out, ignition on, clutch in, choke on...... Clikkk. Nothing. Battery fully charged, so thinking its the starter. The relay is obviously working or I'd get no click?

Now... Just by chance, I have a spare starter. Was going to do the job today as I had time... But things never go to plan, do they? I ended up having to go up to John o Groats to collect a Brahma cockerell. So job not started.

And what an arse of a job it looks too... Fairing off to get the rad cap off (yeah, like I'm doing that, I'll get the bastard off without that) coolant drained, as there's a hose across the back of the starter... Manual reckons tank and carbs off... We'll see.

Thinking ahead, ethylene glycol to refill, you reckon.?

I thought the new battery had sorted this, it was fine for months, but when I want a run out on the spur of the moment. Oh well.

They are big feckers Big Sandy,(y)

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
They are big feckers Big Sandy,(y)
As they say... He's a Brahma! 🤣 We had a Buff Orpington before, he was huge. So big he just dropped dead one day. Fine one minute, gone the next. What a way to go!

I got a new old stock clutch switch off ebay... Simple swaps first. Looking at the spare starter, I'm not seeing a solenoid... I know the relay is at the back of the tank, but I don't know if there is a solenoid, must have a look at the wiring diagram.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
In fairness I had the same issue on the sprint...I just super glued some extra rubber strips on the back of the grill protector and hey presto ...Will possibly have to wait till next Sunday now though as I got a six day week totaling 70hrs..Really want that fresh start...
It didn't come with any kind of rubber strips/spacers. Also, as I said it only has one mounting point! 🙄
Look at how it attaches & you'll see it very loosely hooks over the top of the radiator. I stuck a couple of high density foam blocks between the hooked parts & the radiator (& a couple down the sides)
It sounds like they have come off Duck.

I suggest the same again but with small cable ties holding the foam blocks to the hooks this time.

It's an identical design to this. But not made by R&G...
20210531_121238.jpg

No wonder it flaps about! 🙄

T

The Departed

Q. I was looking to change the oil but its like a really weak cup of tea and only done 2500 miles since the last change. Best to top it up or replace?

Last edited by a moderator: