What have you done to your bike today....

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
The black mesh part should be at the top Duck.
Bin the clamps in the plastic bag, they don't fit the bars.
Trim off the bit on the hand guard that they are supposed to attach to.
Then fix the guards to the brackets via the pre drilled holes in the brackets.
Im still trying to motivate myself at the moment..plus the cat just farted 🤢🤮 as I was trying to read the instructions for the heated grips...
Im not an instructions kinda guy at the best of times and the cat just ruined my bit of concentration I had..20210606_131511.jpg

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Why mesh handguards in a the wet UK?

DS
Because this is what Kawasaki want for the genuine parts Doc! 🥴...
20210606_132553.jpg

When all said & done, they are just 2 bits of injection moulded plastic.
The brackets are even more expensive! 😳
Hence the genuine brackets from an accident damaged bike (no bends, just a couple of scuffs)
And the universal guards that'll require some mild adaptation 🙂

They didn't get fitted because I was having motivational issues like Duck is now.
Combined with those snazzy heated grips, they should do a grand job in most weather conditions.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
How long does it take to fit this lot bearing in mind the soon to be ex missus will be back soon and put the kibosh on me doing anything...
You should easily be able to fit the grips in 90 mins. But only if you take power direct from the battery as per the instructions.
Instead, I suggest you go on YouTube to see where the genuine (& nowhere near as effective) Kawasaki grips connect behind the fairing.
That way the install will not only be neater, the grips will power down when ignition is switched off.
Rather that relying on the grips shutting themselves down (as per the instructions)

However, if you're gonna pull the screen off to get at the wiring. You might as well fit that 12v double USB socket & gear position indicator at the same time mate.
Check the YouTube videos I sent you the other week.

In short, I'd set aside 3-4hrs and do all 3 jobs in one hit Duck.

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Ask DD ... .

You should easily be able to fit the grips in 90 mins. But only if you take power direct from the battery as per the instructions.
Instead, I suggest you go on YouTube to see where the genuine (& nowhere near as effective) Kawasaki grips connect behind the fairing.
That way the install will not only be neater, the grips will power down when ignition is switched off.
Rather that relying on the grips shutting themselves down (as per the instructions)

However, if you're gonna pull the screen off to get at the wiring. You might as well fit that 12v double USB socket & gear position indicator at the same time mate.
Check the YouTube videos I sent you the other week.

In short, I'd set aside 3-4hrs and do all 3 jobs in one hit Duck.
I concur and not just because I'm a lazy so and so...I actually like the idea of doing the lot in one go...plus i heard the sound of a broomstick pulling up which totally scuppered my plans....😱😱😱🤨

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
I only got as far as cleaning the chain and sprockets, removed all the gunk inside the front sprocket cover, then just as I was getting everything ready to wash the Monster, it starts raining :(🙄

Oh well, good excuse for a cup of tea or two and laze around until the rain stops ;)

Well it stopped raining, and I got the Monster washed, dried, and the chain lubed. Then got the Street Triple out, and just as I had covered it in snow foam, it started to rain again. It carried on raining until I had dried the bike as best I could, and put it back in the garage, and then two minutes later the rain stops and the sun is out... the weather gods are having a laugh at me 😂

IMG_20210606_140454286_HDR.jpg

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
I don't get all this 'heated grips', 'hand guards' and 'USB ports' business. I thought a motorbike was supposed to be a wild and free ride not a 'Jaaaagggg' on two wheels!

I now love heated grips, its the very first time I've had them after I installed some on my Street Triple. I can take being cold, apart from my hands, and the heated grips are brilliant keeping my hands toasty warm. Don't know why I didn't fit them before 🤔

Last edited:

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
I don't get all this 'heated grips', 'hand guards' and 'USB ports' business. I thought a motorbike was supposed to be a wild and free ride not a 'Jaaaagggg' on two wheels!
Hand guards are so you can't see my gun..Heated grips are to keep my gun hand warm...USB ports to charge my phone when I'm in Scotland as they ain't got electricity in Scotland...I don't think have even heard of electricity...

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Electrickery? No idea what that is.. my laptop runs on steam power.

I can't say I have ever had cold palms on a bike. Aye the backs of my fingers can occasionally get cold in the middle of winter but I ain't out that much in the middle of winter. I guess we rugged Scottish neanderthal's are simply too hot to need extra heat. I suppose that if I was driving an hour or more at a time in minus weather I might start to get cold fingers but I don't need to do that these days.

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Electrickery? No idea what that is.. my laptop runs on steam power.

I can't say I have ever had cold palms on a bike. Aye the backs of my fingers can occasionally get cold in the middle of winter but I ain't out that much in the middle of winter. I guess we rugged Scottish neanderthal's are simply too hot to need extra heat.
Everyone knows Scottish people have hairy palms so you don't need heated grips on a motorbike..🤣🤣🤣

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
I now love heated grips, its the very first time I've had them after I installed some on my Street Triple. I can take being cold, apart from my hands, and the heated grips are brilliant keeping my hands toasty warm. Don't know why I didn't fit them before 🤔

I shall fit some soon to the Monster, as I have discovered that whilst they are not available as a Ducati accessory for my model, there is a dedicated fused power socket in the loom for heated grips. So just fit the appropriate connector, which I already have, and no need for a relay etc. So I'll get the same Daytona grips that I have on my Street Triple with integrated control.

$_57__56811.1602689047.jpg

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
I hurpled out to the shed and looked at that fechin bolt again, realised I was going to have to get on the floor, thought 'fuck that' (left leg won't bend proper at the moment) and decided to swap out the spark plugs, seeing as the tank is off. That centre plug is fun, isn't it? Took it out with the plug spanner in the tool kit, 16th of a turn at a time.... I have a thin wall plug socket, which I used on the outer two, no problem, but couldn't get the socket extension in for the centre one. Then, *brainwave* remembered I had a universal joint with 3/8 fittings. Yes! So, new plug in, nice ratchet to tighten up. Sweet. Until I couldn't get the socket out...... Managed it in the end, but was thinking it was going to get interesting...

Old plugs were black.... I've put NGK in, the old ones were Champion iridium, very thin electrodes. Like about 1mm, pointy. New ones are a standard round flat end,