What have you done to your bike today....

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
I love warbirds although I really don't dig the twin seat conversions done to them. Sure it means that those with enough loot but no licence can get as close to flying one as possible but it seems a shame to ruin those lines.

I agree, but then again had I got the kind of disposable money required I'd be wanting a flight in them ;)

Last edited:

Judd Dredd

Merlin, Giver Of Drugs & Magic Potions.
Staff member
I love warbirds although I really don't dig the twin seat conversions done to them.
IAC_Spits.jpg

been doing it since the beginning.....

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Ah well, yes if I recall correctly Supermarine did try to offer a two seat option for training but the RAF wanted them to concentrate on produce ones ready to fight and so rejected the idea. The RAF considered that 'trainer' aircraft which were not needed for frontline duties would suffice to train pilots and then throw them into valuable Spits and Hurri's when they had learned enough to join the fray. Those are Irish Air Corps in the picture and, by the time the Irish had them (I think it was the only 'fighter' they could afford) it was obsolete and so there was never any need for an RAF version.

Even though two seaters were around it still detracts from the sleek looks. The guys that operate the Spits recently did a Hurricane and that is the only ever two seater Hurri I think. Again it don't look good to me compared to the original.

chas

Legendary Knight
Weren't the two seaters used for photo rec originally?

Saw a Spit fly over last year when I was in a carpark around Folkestone way last year and was frankly amazed that I was the only one locked to the sky watching it.

There's a 'Battle of Britain' show at Headcorn next month so I'm looking forward to seeing some planes around that time when I pop over to the Mammy's (her village)

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Nah the PRU Spits (Photo Recon Unit) were single seaters, usually painted light blue or pale pink all over) with all the armaments removed (for lightness, altitude and speed) with a camera (or cameras) mounted in the bottom of the fuselage facing down and operated by the pilot. I used to know a very grumpy old fellow called Edgar who sadly passed away a wee while ago, jeez must be four years ago now, who was an absolute expert on Spits in all their forms. Pity he ain't around any more or I could have got you chapter and verse on them. He detested anyone mucking around with the few surviving examples. Personally I always preferred the Hurricanes.

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck
Screenshot_20210609-045107_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210609-045115_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210609-045130_Gallery.jpg
Started moving stuff out last night and concentrating on important things first...After lugging around loads of oil spares and assorted nick nacks my landlady bless her decided to clear a space in her garage to put my shelves in and as very kindly said Stacy can stay in the garage and I can do anything to her in there if I want...so things are looking up for me and Stacy..👍👍👍🦆

Public Enemy

Enforcer
Staff member
View attachment 7425View attachment 7426View attachment 7427
Started moving stuff out last night and concentrating on important things first...After lugging around loads of oil spares and assorted nick nacks my landlady bless her decided to clear a space in her garage to put my shelves in and as very kindly said Stacy can stay in the garage and I can do anything to her in there if I want...so things are looking up for me and Stacy..👍👍👍🦆
Very generous offer!!

Foxy

Legendary Knight
Went out wi mi mate I used to race with, he has a Speed Triple anorl. We went to a local bike meet, at a place called Scarcliffe, but allus call at this beautiful pub ont way. We sent this pic to another mate, who couldn't get, to piss him off.20210608_191848.jpg

Last edited: