What have you done to your bike today....

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
Aye, can start a 2.25 petrol Landy easy. Not the diesel though, never get it fast enough!
Our Genny's and Comp/Airs had four cylinder Perkins Diesel's it was not the swinging it over that's the problem it;s when it either fires up or kicks back and your thumbs are in the way like @Steve 998cc indicated, it worked a treat on gobby Airmen as they ended up sucking their sore thumbs instead of giving too much lip. It was a bit easier to swing as the decomp lever was swung in as it spun round if fitted.

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
In my day this way the arm, hand and wrist killer:

1656361027564.jpeg
The Unit Bulk Refuelling Equipment (UBRE) pronounced yewbry but mostly called a pod came with a single cylinder donkey engine of evil temperament that needed hand cranking. The experienced made it look easy and got their sport from letting the 'uninitiated' have a go.
Diesel pods on the Stolly. You didn't want petrol dripping into the engine bay underneath!

half ton

Legendary Knight
Skipped me din dins and went out for a "where the fuck am I" bimble ..85 miles and not one bit of dual carriageway ..very few cars,and the temp was perfect,Stopped for a Kebab and just got home, Done waffles,Ice-cream and chocolate sauce now going to have a bevy ...aaah chilled out and wondering if my stomach will survive a few beers after the Waffles etc. ...... will soon find out :sick::oops:

chas

Legendary Knight
I'm thinking of dropping another 2psi out of the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

rear tyre

Tedium aside I think the locked up compression damping (it's def set at salad dodger setting) means running lower than std pressures to introduce a bit more reactiveness and feel. I also think it's odd that the front and rear don't roll round to the same degree. I think it'd handle better with a 180 on the back, the 190 (and consequent flatter profile) doesn't roll over with the front in the right way.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
I also think it's odd that the front and rear don't roll round to the same degree. I think it'd handle better with a 180 on the back, the 190 (and consequent flatter profile) doesn't roll over with the front in the right way.
In the 90's I helped a mate turn his Kawasaki Zephyr 1100 into a national show winning Streetfighter.
The budget to do so kept growing & growing. To the point it basically became a blank cheque.
One of the upgrades he insisted on was a 200 section (or bigger) rear tyre.

After a lot of beer mat maths. I proved to him on paper that it would bollox up the handling. Mainly due to what you're experiencing Chas. Plus the fact we'd changed the swingarm from a twin shock to a mono shock & were using a Fireblade shock on it. A better quality shock, but designed for a much lighter bike.
However, he wouldn't listen & got exactly what he requested.

A radical looking bike with various parts reassigned from the top sports bikes of the day plus a load of one-off bits.
That looked great, but handled like a pi$$ed up pig on rollerskates! 🥴

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
I reckon that I would stick with a 190 rear on yer speed trip @chas . The Sprints are set up with a 180 rear, 120 front where the Daytona and Speed triple are set up with the 120 front and 190 rear and I reckon it's because they have a significantly shorter wheelbase and a lower, less raked front fork than the Sprints. The Sprints also have a reputation for being much more of a handful than the Daytona's and I can personally testify to that. The Daytona feels like it's on rails, is smooth and predictable in the bends and feels almost 'tame' where the Sprint RS feels like a feckin' nutter with a thousand yard stare who is deciding somewhere in one of his minds whether he feels like killing you this time out. I swear the Sprint RS's are the psycho's of the Triumph brand and it can only be down to the frame dimensions, wheelbase, rake and tyre width because the Swingarms, rear suspension and wheels are common to all models.