What have you done to your bike today....

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
Grabbed a quick couple of hours after lunch as it's POETS day and looks like rain over the weekend and got guests visiting.

Needed heated grips, but glad I got out - beautiful countryside and clear sky even if a bit nippy.

Returned to a regular little loop I haven't done for a while as been exploring elsewhere - saw a field that had been harvested and the drying stalks of what might have been sweetcorn, had a beautiful red hue in the sun :)

DS

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Pumped the fuel out of the Bonnie Tank and started to gather the bit's together for a good service later on the old girl, based on age rather than mileage so will change the fuel filter and hoses as I already have them, and some other jobs
With that kinda attention to detail. I'd trust you to work on aircraft young man! 🙃

PS...
I "might" be spending Christmas/New Year in the Caribbean? If so, I'll forward you the details of the airline that'll be doing the flying.
Then @Foxy can check out the ship for my next jolly to Cuba.
Having you ex services folk easily to hand is a right result! 😃

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
With that kinda attention to detail. I'd trust you to work on aircraft young man! 🙃

PS...
I "might" be spending Christmas/New Year in the Caribbean? If so, I'll forward you the details of the airline that'll be doing the flying.
I just go by the fact that someparts like fuel hose deteriate with age and exposure to fuel and if the tank is off it saves taking it of again at a later date, In the good old service day's before the great PFI and contractor Ripp offs I had seen many an item of equipment be taken for service,"But it ain't been used" you would say, "If our chart say's it's due a major then it due", clean oil out, clean oil in, and better than that we used to run a book on which station was closing next if a lot of money was being spent on refurbishments then the odds were slashed, as it was expected to be a bad sign for closure

Last edited:

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
Another POETs day run in glorious sunshine:)

Down to Rutland water and then a different route back.

Saw a couple of police riders, which is pretty rare, and they looked to be doing the Bikesafe thing and giving observed rides - usually that's at weekends, but a good thing whenever they do it.

On way home dropped in on a fellow BBer to swap the GS for the Honda I'll use tomorrow for my Nov shift. Weather looks good for that too :)

DS

BAD LUCK DUCK

Forum Duck

PS...
Don't fly with virgin Atlantic..
I saw an advertisement on the telly yesterday and they employ all kinds of weirdo trans gender black puffs and got a female pilot that looked like she was doing a kamikazi dive in a stuka :oops:🦆

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
Added an hour to lunch so managed a quick 60 miles in the mid-day sun :)

Beautiful out, so much colour in the trees.

Blinding low level sun in places, and dodgy leaf covered corners in places, but I kept an eye out for issues and didn't treat it like a summer's day, so all good.

Wish I could have just kept going - being out riding is the best!

DS

Tallpaul

Legendary Knight
Treated ourselves to a ride out to Crossgates for a greasy fry up. 120 miles on scabby, wet roads and Tiger was filthy when we got back. Bucket and sponge time and soon cleaned up. Boots needed a swill as well. Cold, foggy, sunny, warm, we had it all.

Steve 998cc

Legendary Knight
My bikes are tucked up under thier winter covers in the garage they refuse to start or move when it gets greasy, wet, a cold, not me you understand I'd ride in any weather it's the bikes they are choosy when the go out. (if you believe that you'll believe anything) Ride safe guys.

Tallpaul

Legendary Knight
My grandson fancies a field bike to tat around on. We looked locally and found this old shitter lurking in a collapsed shed. No v5 or keys but it's been registered SORN. I got it sparking and thought best change the oil before trying for a start. Well, as expected, the sump plug pulled the threads out with it so it needs a helicoil. I think he will learn some useful lessons with our latest project together. I had him start by washing all the bird and rat shit off it. When he comes over on Saturday, he can get the air filter out of it and have a go at the better chrome bits.20221127_135001.jpg

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
Be a good little project for him and a usefull way to learn about bikes and skills involved in maintenance and repair, if you have issues with the sump plug they do a repair kit these days that gives an oversize plug like the one below, if you can't helicoil it honda are usualy 1.4 so this is the 1.5 you just need the right one

Tallpaul

Legendary Knight
Be a good little project for him and a usefull way to learn about bikes and skills involved in maintenance and repair, if you have issues with the sump plug they do a repair kit these days that gives an oversize plug like the one below, if you can't helicoil it honda are usualy 1.4 so this is the 1.5 you just need the right one
Useful info, thanks mate. I think the sump can be drained through the side mounted oil screen housing as well.

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
My grandson fancies a field bike to tat around on. We looked locally and found this old shitter lurking in a collapsed shed. No v5 or keys but it's been registered SORN. I got it sparking and thought best change the oil before trying for a start. Well, as expected, the sump plug pulled the threads out with it so it needs a helicoil. I think he will learn some useful lessons with our latest project together. I had him start by washing all the bird and rat shit off it. When he comes over on Saturday, he can get the air filter out of it and have a go at the better chrome bits.View attachment 21557

Used one of them when despatch riding in the 80s. Will take a lot of abuse - perfect for a youngster to play with.

What a good grandfather you are!

DS

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
Went in on the bike today as collected the Blood Bike I'll be using tomorrow on the way back.

Managed to squeeze a quick lunch hour ride in - it's getting nippy!

But having said that, good kit kept me warm enough - if wrapped up OK, I'm happy covering miles in this weather.

Biggest issue was pockets of fog - some drivers putting fog lights on, but really didn't need them, while others driving without any lights, when did!

DS

Tallpaul

Legendary Knight
My grandson fancies a field bike to tat around on. We looked locally and found this old shitter lurking in a collapsed shed. No v5 or keys but it's been registered SORN. I got it sparking and thought best change the oil before trying for a start. Well, as expected, the sump plug pulled the threads out with it so it needs a helicoil. I think he will learn some useful lessons with our latest project together. I had him start by washing all the bird and rat shit off it. When he comes over on Saturday, he can get the air filter out of it and have a go at the better chrome bits.View attachment 21557
Elwood has spent a couple of hours with me this morning before he went to youth club. We had the grinder on some nasty bolts on the rear frame and took out the rear mudguard liner. He unscrewed the airbox and got the filters out, both in as new condition so they went back in. No mouse nest or spiders. A few more small bits unscrewed ok. "Grandad, do you think we bought a turd"!