What have you done to your bike today....

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
Glad you had a good 'un @BAD LUCK DUCK !

And as others have said, getting tyres and suspension properly set up on a bike makes such a difference - much more than on a car.

I tend to do it the day before a ride as a way of extending my garage time and bike interaction*!

DS

*Stop smirking at the back - you know what I mean!

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
After the work and test ride on the Bonnie the other day I noticed the old shocks are not what they used to be {originals] so even though the bike has low miles I ordered a replacement set from Hagon to suit one Fat Bastid, should give the bike peace from having to drag my bulk about

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
All worked out sweet so managed a nice couple of hours on the GS.

Don't know why, but didn't seem a lot of traffic out - nice :)

Lot of shit on the roads though - guess local farmers must be up to something at this time of the year.

Encountered one horse, but sadly no fillies in jodhpurs - was being ridden by an old gent who looked like he belonged in the House of Lords!

DS

Big Sandy

Legendary Knight
Not much. Started it for the first time in 4 months (not been home much).

It started on the second try, and I ran it up to temperature.....all the exhaust system hot. No condensation in the oil, but the next thing is to do an oil change, check and bleed the brakes, and a quick check over if all components, and then ready to go.

half ton

Legendary Knight
Not really what I've done to my bike, More of what I might do to another one (as in buy it).
I have the chance of a one owner Honda C90 (crunchy), It's in very tidy condition and is being serviced at my Brothers works, I have been looking at prices for them and nice ones go for £1800 up and this one might be for sale at £1000, The owner is the father of a lass that works in the Cafe and is thinking of giving up bikes....question is can I afford another bike now I'm redundant..:unsure:

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
I've been previously too annoyed and embarrassed, but now it's time to confess that last year whilst on holiday I dropped the Guzzi 😒 I was stationary on a narrow steep incline and I somehow managed to go down, but the bike ended up with the wheels facing uphill so all the weight of the bike was fighting against me when trying to pick it up. I eventually managed to get it up, however in my struggle I over compensated and put it over on the other side 😭🤬. I don't think the initial drop caused much damage, unlike my attempts to get it upright again.

Today I got to near completion of getting the bike sorted, just got to check valve clearances, clean the air filter and double check torques on the bits that have been taken off and put back on the bike.

Touched up the paint on a few tatty parts, that were not damaged by the drop.

IMG_20230209_144039165.jpg

Fitted a new oil sump, after the original had suffered some cosmetic damage from debris thrown up off the front wheel months ago.

IMG_20230206_141534505.jpg

New levers, mirrors, indicators and fly screen.

IMG_20230211_164723741.jpg

New foot rests and controls

IMG_20230211_164812845.jpg

New cylinder head cover and downpipes.

IMG_20230211_164756870.jpg

I was a little fortunate in that I already had a lot of spares, that I had picked up cheaply when available on eBay, but it was still a bit of an expensive cock up which was due to my own stupidity.

Anyway, I hope to get out for a shake down soon, and then roll on spring 🙂

Public Enemy

Enforcer
Staff member
I've been previously too annoyed and embarrassed, but now it's time to confess that last year whilst on holiday I dropped the Guzzi 😒 I was stationary on a narrow steep incline and I somehow managed to go down, but the bike ended up with the wheels facing uphill so all the weight of the bike was fighting against me when trying to pick it up. I eventually managed to get it up, however in my struggle I over compensated and put it over on the other side 😭🤬. I don't think the initial drop caused much damage, unlike my attempts to get it upright again.

Today I got to near completion of getting the bike sorted, just got to check valve clearances, clean the air filter and double check torques on the bits that have been taken off and put back on the bike.

View attachment 22625

Fitted a new oil sump, after the original had suffered some cosmetic damage from debris thrown up off the front wheel months ago.

View attachment 22626

View attachment 22627

View attachment 22628

View attachment 22629

I was a little fortunate in that I already had a lot of spares, that I had picked up cheaply when available on eBay, but it was still a bit of an expensive cock up which was due to my own stupidity.

You ain't the first, and you won't be the last mate. At least it was only your pride that was injured. And some metalwork!

Don the Don

Legendary Knight

View attachment 22625

View attachment 22626

View attachment 22627

View attachment 22628

View attachment 22629

At least you did not damage that hard to find chrome tank.................may I suggest just for you mate.:whistle:

1676138375018.png

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
It's easy done as I discovered to my own discomfort and embarrassment two years ago. There is a horrible 'point of no return' where, no matter how big a geezer you are nothing will save it from going over when you are astride the thing and it is remarkably difficult to lift them up once they are down. One thing I had never realised about crash bars until recently when I was watching those Japanese Police doing their Gymkhana stuff is that, while they may not really protect your pride and joy in an off they do make it easier to pick it up if it goes over.

Last edited:

half ton

Legendary Knight
we laugh at them but these things looked after go on & on and are reliable, could it take the place of the Matchless or Enfield that is the question if you only have room for two to live with, I think you have two nice bikes now as it is only you can decide mate.
I've always had a soft spot for them Don, The early ones fetch silly money now and this is a later one with bigger indicators etc. but they are getting collectible as well now, It's done 24000 miles but runs like a Swiss watch. I've been looking at the ones modified for longer journeys and people are doing 300 mile days on them, One guy has ridden the whole coast of Great Britain on his fully loaded. Maybe it could squeeze in at the back of my shed and if I did have to sell it I don't think I would lose money.

Don the Don

Legendary Knight
I've always had a soft spot for them Don, The early ones fetch silly money now and this is a later one with bigger indicators etc. but they are getting collectible as well now, It's done 24000 miles but runs like a Swiss watch. I've been looking at the ones modified for longer journeys and people are doing 300 mile days on them, One guy has ridden the whole coast of Great Britain on his fully loaded. Maybe it could squeeze in at the back of my shed and if I did have to sell it I don't think I would lose money.
They are the life blood of many in the east I am sure we have all seen pictures of an entire family and a pig hanging on one , Youtube has videos of blokes going all the way to Alaska on small Honda's they are truly endurable, there is a guy on the Adventure bike forum who has done galactic miles on all terrain on a little step thru so you go for it @half ton scratch that itch mate

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight

View attachment 22625

View attachment 22626

View attachment 22627

View attachment 22628

View attachment 22629

Glad you weren't hurt and the bike is back together - it still looks amazing!

DS

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
Lovely morning out on the bike today - extended loop round taking in Rutland and bits of Leicestershire.

Plenty of other bikes out, but again other traffic wasn't that heavy.

Glad I've a GS as the condition of the roads is just getting worse and worse - trying to take the 'sight line' and using all the road now requires a check when swinging out to the edge round a bend to confirm that the road hasn't started falling away in several places!

DS