What have you done to your bike today....

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
We've all had days when everything that can go wrong, does go wrong.
Today was just such a day for myself & @Judd Dredd.

Long story short (ish)
The plan was he would service his bike in my garage with me offering guidance. That way he'd learn how to do it for future services. Whilst initially having the safety net of me giving directions.

WELL!...
What a f#ckin disaster it was!

1) I couldn't get the sump plug to budge. I was hanging off it & exerting so much force on it I was dragging myself towards the bike & the sump plug still wouldn't budge.
At that point my mate Gaz turned up wanting the rear brake adjusted on his KTM. He's built like a Pitbull so I got him to try.
With the help of a longer handled ratchet & a breaker bar he finally got it undone 🤗
We then discovered it had been fitted without a sump plug washer. So not only massively overtightened, but the steel plug had been forced up against the alloy sump.

2) Then came the oil filter. Same story again, MASSIVELY overtightened? 😡

3) New oil, oil filter & a copper sump plug washer were fitted & Judd started the bike.
Cue the Exxon Valdez of oil leaks all over my garage floor!
We must be talking 2.5ltrs 😞
When I refitted the new filter I was talking Judd through it & said..."Hand tight, then about half a turn with the filter removal tool"...
The fact it went hand tight then took another 2.5 full turns should have been when the penny dropped but it didn't 😗

After loads of checking & rechecking of the seal on the sump plug & putting the original filter back on but still getting the same leak.
Whilst pouring the old oil back into the bike for the third time (no point diagnosing a leak with fresh oil)
We spotted the seal from the original filter in the oil catch pan.

What had happen was...
1) The original filter was so tight it had left its gasket behind on the bottom of the engine.
2) I then fitted the new filter on top of the old rubber gasket & obviously didn't get a good seal. Also it explains the need for 2.5 turns after hand tight (we live & learn eh! 😒)
3) It must have eventually dropped off into the oil catch pan during one of several old filter/new filter refitting & checking sessions.

Eventually Judd rode away on an oil tight bike after helping me clean up the garage floor.
We got there in the end lads but I had to (metaphorical speaking) get him in a headlock several times to stop him giving up & calling a recovery truck.

If he learnt nothing more from today except to check that the original oil filter still has its gasket attached. Then it was a worthwhile exercise 🙂

Plus he's bound to have learnt a few new swear words! 😀

PS...
The last people to work on the bike was a Triumph main dealer! 🙄

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
it had the makings of a disaster, thank feck the threads held.
At one point I began to wonder if just before the sump plug finally let go. It had twisted/cracked the sump?
I know that's highly unlikely Don. But as we seemed to be stumbling from one problem to another at that point. Paranoia started to creep in.

The good news is Judd shouldn't have the same issues again. In fact I might suggest that he brings the bike back this time next year. And we do what we planned to do this time around i.e. he services the bike with me supervising.
That way if anything is difficult to remove I'll only have myself to blame 😗

Judd Dredd

Merlin, Giver Of Drugs & Magic Potions.
Staff member
it was a nightmare for Jez and to be honest, I was embarrassed by the hassle the bike was causing him. Still learnt alot, including the phrase 'tighter than a nun's fanny'...

I am grateful to @DD67 for his mammoth efforts today. Those bottles of whisky were well earned.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
You are very lucky the sump didn't crack around the sump plug as that is a 'known' problem with overtightening the sump plug on these engines. The oil filters on the motors seem to be almost self tightening too and typically the filter removal tools don't fit that tightly and don't grip enough to force the buggers. On all my Triumphs I stab the bastard with a long screw driver and then use it to twist it out. A very experienced car mechanic mate of mine was an advocate of the screwdriver trick and that's where I picked it up from. I have always found that every 'five minute job' on bikes usually ends up taking many hours/days to get done.

Last edited:

Sarky B’stard

Legendary Knight
I have been known to drift a stuck oil filter off with an engineer's screwdriver and hammer but it's a non starter with the recessed type on many modern bikes. You first notch the rim adjacent the filter mount then tap anti clockwise. It's what you need to do anyway if you reduce the filter body to a hand lacerator by stuffing a screwdriver through the thin tin 🫤.

There are some alarming bodges being driven about.

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
The screwdriver trick is a little harder with my Bonnie's, the Daytona and the Sprints because the filters are recessed but it is doable as long as you pick the right point and angle to drive the screwdriver in. I was forced to do it after the 'oil filter wrench' socket that I got alongside my new filters, from Fowlers if I recall correctly, wouldn't grip the bloody pattern oil filters that were fitted to all my bikes.

Public Enemy

Enforcer
Staff member
I'll be loading her up today ready for getting on the road at 0400 hrs tomorrow.
0900 hrs ferry from Holyhead to Dublin. A couple of nights in the North, followed by 10 days in Southern Ireland. Most of which we will be riding the Wild Atlantic Way. Forecast doesn't look too bad. Gonna stop off at Joey's bar for a photo and a beer.
I'll try to get on here when I have network availability, and bore the tits off you with photos.
Returning Saturday week in time for tea! Try not to miss me too much.:ROFLMAO:

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
I'll be loading her up today ready for getting on the road at 0400 hrs tomorrow.
0900 hrs ferry from Holyhead to Dublin. A couple of nights in the North, followed by 10 days in Southern Ireland. Most of which we will be riding the Wild Atlantic Way. Forecast doesn't look too bad. Gonna stop off at Joey's bar for a photo and a beer.
I'll try to get on here when I have network availability, and bore the tits off you with photos.
Returning Saturday week in time for tea! Try not to miss me too much.:ROFLMAO:
That sounds awesome.
Have a great trip mate! 🙂