What have you done to your bike today....

smib

Legendary Knight
Advancing years is slowing down my need for heavy fast bikes.
I have my Royal Enfield Himalayan (AKA "Lego" bike as DD calls it😀) for beach fishing trips and general trudge duties.

And having just sold the Yammy Tenere, which to be honest, I never really gelled with!
It being too tall and too heavy, the guy I sold it to could barely touch the ground also and was over 6 foot.

A new fun bike was required for the Saturday morning cafe blast, over the border into Devon. I don't need a long distance machine any more ......

Enter the KTM 390 Duke.
Its like a 125 with a 390 engine in. Lightweight to manoeuvre and a blast to ride, and will hopefully keep me in the saddle for a few more years??

Best of all now I've lost 20 odd Kg's in weight, so its an ideal match for its 44 BHP

*** Edit: Before anyone asks are they Gay pride spinners in the plant pots. No. Feck off. The wife put them there to scare the birds ***
;)

Attachments

• IMG_20230711_133639.jpg
    IMG_20230711_133639.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

MartytheMartian

Legendary Knight
Congrats on the weight loss @smib (well as long as it's deliberate and not due to illness). I'm currently on the weight loss trail after having gradually crept up to a whopping 23 and a half stone over the last fifteen or so years. So far, since about April I've lost three stone and am aiming to lose another two although it's a feckin' bastard of a thing to do and I'd kill for some serious cake. The bikes definitely handle much better now I'm not quite such a lardy bastard.

smib

Legendary Knight
Congrats on the weight loss @smib (well as long as it's deliberate and not due to illness). I'm currently on the weight loss trail after having gradually crept up to a whopping 23 and a half stone over the last fifteen or so years. So far, since about April I've lost three stone and am aiming to lose another two although it's a feckin' bastard of a thing to do and I'd kill for some serious cake. The bikes definitely handle much better now I'm not quite such a lardy bastard.
We'll done with the weight loss mate.
No illness. Gone back on Keto diet and gym workouts 5 days a week.
My biggest temptation is booze🤬
Old habits die hard.....

Last edited:

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
Congratulations on the new bike @smib looks very cool :cool: And congratulations on the weight loss everyone.

Since starting my new job, I've lost 10kg (just over 1 stone) since March, and I'm down to about 72kg which is almost the weight I was over 10 years ago when I was kickboxing and going to the gym. Best thing is that my dodgy knee and hip rarely gives me any trouble now, so I guess "use it or lose it" is true.

Smaller bikes are starting to make a lot of sense to me now, and I will be very interested in looking at the new Triumph 400 scrambler when available in the UK.

smib

Legendary Knight
I would never go to a public Gym these days. full of wankers filming themselves doing stupid shit. I've got a couple of hundred kilos of weight in my 'mancave' shed that I can work with to burn off the calories in peace and quiet.
I go to a small council sports centre in the town (if you can call it a town🤔).
Go between 10 & 12 and most days I'm the only one in there, the staff even know you by your first name. No wankers posing!
Like you I have the equipment at home, but you don't get the incentive to do it, like you do in a gym. Plus there is pool to swim afterwards.
Plus us old feckers get everything for £23 a month.... Brucie bonus🤣

Last edited:

half ton

Legendary Knight
Got it ready for a trip tomorrow, Riding up to the Ponderosa cafe (196mls), Then down to Aberyswyth (85mls) Followed by a short run to Leominster on Friday (75mls) apparently in heavy rain , going to piss down right through to Sunday when I ride home (172mls) ... wish me luck I've got my boil in the bag wetsuit and my skin is waterproof ... the things I do to get pissed 🥳

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
Nice bike @smib !

And like others, I can definitely see the appeal of a lightweight single - know a guy with one of those KTMs and he loves it and rarely rides any of his other bikes now.

And good luck those trying to shift a few pounds - I find the main draw on the gym is cardio work, seated cycling machine works best for me in terms of giving me the workout I need without buggering up any of me joints.

Managed a couple of rides over the last week - one short and one delightfully long. Was planning a longer ride and then got diverted due to roadworks and while not going the route I planned, got in plenty of miles exploring a 'different direction'!

Not sure what I'll get to squeeze in this weekend given the forecast.

That will influence whether we head to Mallory on Sat or not too.

DS

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
I went on a little hunt for WWII aviation memorials around Northamptonshire. I got to visit three before it pissed down with rain and I got soaked, I hadn't taken any waterproofs because the fecking useless weather forecast (guess) said it was going to be dry 😒. However I had an enjoyable ride, and met a guy who apparently used to be a tyre tech at the TT working with guys like Steve Parish, he was very complimentary about my Guzzi ☺️

IMG_20230713_125858929_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230713_125916420_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230713_130227028_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230713_133826262_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230713_133749059_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230713_133802677.jpg
IMG_20230713_135941122_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230713_135926977_HDR.jpg

I've now got to go wash my very wet and dirty bike :rolleyes:

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
Failed MOT :(

And passed MOT :)

I took the Guzzi for its MOT, and they had to fail it because of a slightly loose left hand grip, but they gave we some cable ties to secure it so they could then pass it. The guys in the workshop couldn't believe that my bike had done over 10,000 miles, and kept on saying how clean and immaculate it was 😊

So I'll now have to use some better glue to secure my grip properly - Any suggestions?