What have you done to your bike today....

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
GS sailed through MOT today 😊

Got it done and serviced by my regular guy, who has semi-retired and left Ldn and moved to near Norwich. Bit of a faff running around to get done, but happy to stick using the fella for as long as possible - been using him since the 90s.

DS

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
I had a brilliant ride today, one of those where everything seemed effortless and rewarding. The bike felt great, I seemed to be riding instinctively, the weather was good being dry and not too warm, it was all superb 😁 ...until when stopped at some temporary lights and a guy on a new Triumph Trident pulled up alongside me on my right, and when the lights changed I gave it a little too much throttle and nearly pulled a wheelie, so feeling a bit of a prat I went with it and kept the gas on disappearing down the road like a lunatic 😔. The guy on the Trident must have thought me a total twat, especially as whilst waiting at the lights he had already indicated that I should go first. Apart from that brief embarrassment I had a really enjoyable time with the Guzzi today ☺️

IMG_20230801_143221184_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230801_143306355_HDR.jpg

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
I went for a ride on the Guzzi down to Motorcycle World in Northampton and took up their offer of a couple of test rides 😁

Well my expectations were turned on their head, and my preconceptions were shattered.

The Norton Commando whilst being a beautiful looking machine, I found it to be raw and a bit harsh. It's loud, VERY LOUD, it sounds fantastic but just too loud once you've been riding for more than a few minutes. It vibrates and you feel it through the bars and the foot pegs, so much so that my right hand started to go numb, and if I'd ridden it for another hour it would probably have given me a headache. I thought It handled well on good road surfaces, and was great fun rolling it in and out of twisty country roads, but over rough surfaces it was trying to buck me off which most likely was down to the suspension not being setup for me 🤔 It looks, feels and smells like on old bike, I loved it, (may be looking at it through nostalgic and patriotic rose tinted specs) but I couldn't live with one 🙁

IMG_20230809_143813333_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230809_143757835_HDR.jpg

Now the FTR I had thought was going to be vibey, a bit rough and a little undisciplined at slow speed around town... but what a revelation! It was smooth and mild mannered riding though town traffic, then when out in the country it comes alive. I found it to be intuitive, precise handling, and the surge of power when you open it up in any gear is addictive 😁 I hadn't expected to get on with it, especially all the electrickery, but I really REALLY liked it. The FTR was a comfortable, very fun and enjoyable ride, I had a huge grin on my face sweeping through bends and feeling the kick of power when back on the gas.

IMG_20230809_161317730_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230809_161308588_HDR.jpg

I'd get the Carbon model if (when 🤞😉) I got one, and I've just found out the company my daughter works for does all the PR for Indian UK, so might have to tap her for some discount 😄.

2023_Indian_FTR_R_Carbon_13-1521x760.jpg

Public Enemy

Enforcer
Staff member
Added this to the family. And actually got a dry, sunny day when Mrs Public Enemy didn't have a to do list for me.
No idea yet how this bike will be on a longer run, but for a 3 hour blast around the Peaks and Dales it is superb.
Gotta clean it now though, as I rode through some fresh cow shit on the way home.
20230811_101122.jpg20230811_101137.jpg20230811_101747.jpg
I realise the "transformer" looks may not be everyone's cup of tea but jeez, when you ride it you forget about all that.
It's a Yamaha MT09SP by the way.

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
Added this to the family. And actually got a dry, sunny day when Mrs Public Enemy didn't have a to do list for me.
No idea yet how this bike will be on a longer run, but for a 3 hour blast around the Peaks and Dales it is superb.
Gotta clean it now though, as I rode through some fresh cow shit on the way home.
View attachment 26094View attachment 26095View attachment 26096
I realise the "transformer" looks may not be everyone's cup of tea but jeez, when you ride it you forget about all that.

Nice bike, and great photos (y) Enjoy! 😃

smib

Legendary Knight
View attachment 26094View attachment 26095View attachment 26096
Crackin bikes the MT09's are.
Had a 17 plate standard (non SP), with Akrapovic pipe and quick-shifter.
Can still visualize that triple engine screaming.......

Public Enemy

Enforcer
Staff member
Crackin bikes the MT09's are.
Had a 17 plate standard (non SP), with Akrapovic pipe and quick-shifter.
Can still visualize that triple engine screaming.......
There is definitely something about that triple howl. And that up and down quick shifter with auto blip is supremely smooth. I never thought I needed or wanted the QS, but now I just love it. Got a good deal on the SP so it was a no brainer really. Love a bit of Ohlins bling!!

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
There is definitely something about that triple howl. And that up and down quick shifter with auto blip is supremely smooth. I never thought I needed or wanted the QS, but now I just love it. Got a good deal on the SP so it was a no brainer really. Love a bit of Ohlins bling!!
As you're obviously a lottery winner. Are the beers on you at the next forum meet up? 😋

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
I went for a ride on the Guzzi down to Motorcycle World in Northampton and took up their offer of a couple of test rides 😁

Well my expectations were turned on their head, and my preconceptions were shattered.

The Norton Commando whilst being a beautiful looking machine, I found it to be raw and a bit harsh. It's loud, VERY LOUD, it sounds fantastic but just too loud once you've been riding for more than a few minutes. It vibrates and you feel it through the bars and the foot pegs, so much so that my right hand started to go numb, and if I'd ridden it for another hour it would probably have given me a headache. I thought It handled well on good road surfaces, and was great fun rolling it in and out of twisty country roads, but over rough surfaces it was trying to buck me off which most likely was down to the suspension not being setup for me 🤔 It looks, feels and smells like on old bike, I loved it, (may be looking at it through nostalgic and patriotic rose tinted specs) but I couldn't live with one 🙁

View attachment 26072
View attachment 26073

Now the FTR I had thought was going to be vibey, a bit rough and a little undisciplined at slow speed around town... but what a revelation! It was smooth and mild mannered riding though town traffic, then when out in the country it comes alive. I found it to be intuitive, precise handling, and the surge of power when you open it up in any gear is addictive 😁 I hadn't expected to get on with it, especially all the electrickery, but I really REALLY liked it. The FTR was a comfortable, very fun and enjoyable ride, I had a huge grin on my face sweeping through bends and feeling the kick of power when back on the gas.

View attachment 26074
View attachment 26075

I'd get the Carbon model if (when 🤞😉) I got one, and I've just found out the company my daughter works for does all the PR for Indian UK, so might have to tap her for some discount 😄.

View attachment 26076

Interesting reviews - cheers!

Suppose the expectation is that Norton buyers will have other bikes, and this will just be ridden when they want that particular ‘experience’.

The Indian definitely sounds the better bet - hope getting one all goes smoothly!

DS