What have you done to your bike today....

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
I took advantage of the predicted last dry day for a while and went for a ride around some Northamptonshire B roads and villages. A nice ride, a little windy at times, and the state of the roads is shockingly awful in too many places. However I had fun, perhaps a bit too much as I scraped my side stand and boot on one left hand bend after taking it too fast, very nearly a brown pants moment 🥴

Stopped for a pic in a place called Aldwincle 🤨

IMG_20231017_141956320_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231017_141927774_HDR.jpg

gazzatriumph

Legendary Knight
I took advantage of the predicted last dry day for a while and went for a ride around some Northamptonshire B roads and villages. A nice ride, a little windy at times, and the state of the roads is shockingly awful in too many places. However I had fun, perhaps a bit too much as I scraped my side stand and boot on one left hand bend after taking it too fast, very nearly a brown pants moment 🥴

Stopped for a pic in a place called Aldwincle 🤨

View attachment 26945
View attachment 26946
Nice looking bike

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Heaving in the cafe as MX5 owners club meeting up there - seemed a nice bunch 😊
Were they predominantly male (some with wives in tow)? And did you feel young in their company?
I went to one meeting of my local branch. They were indeed a "nice bunch" if you like a dose of anally retentive OAP with your "nice" 😳

And strangely enough. Not one of them was a hairdresser 🤔
They were either retired practical folk with engineering backgrounds etc. Or ex men in suits now retired & on a good pension.

What really made me chuckle was several of them had "classic" cars as well. For instance an E-Type, Austin Healey & an Aston Martin DB5 to name but a few.
Apparently their MX-5's were for going places & not needing a tow truck following them. Plus of course the old classics are a fantastic investment 🙂

PS...
I went out in my MX-5 today to blow the cobwebs off after several days of rain had stopped play. I wrapped up warm inc a woolly hat etc. It was a very enjoyable 38 miles of sweeping A roads. And the car loved the cold/dense air, it ran like a dream! 😃

GaleForceEight

Legendary Knight
The Keeway isn't necessarily competent in the true sense of the word GF8.
It's probably just that at approximately £750 you'll happily take it places that you wouldn't take a £4000 Honda road bike.
Truth! I was prepared to drop it, where with a more expensive machine I wouldn't have gone there... Maybe! Sometimes the 'fuck it, I'm doing it anyway' short circuits my brain! I was pleasantly surprised by it! Anyway, back in Blighty on Thursday to do some work, so my summer is over.... Back out here in January, and I have a room in the house rented out so all the bills are covered.

Last edited:

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
Were they predominantly male (some with wives in tow)? And did you feel young in their company?
I went to one meeting of my local branch. They were indeed a "nice bunch" if you like a dose of anally retentive OAP with your "nice" 😳

Yep, when I got back in I even said to Ms S 'When we knee finally gives up and I can't ride bikes, I at least know if I get a MX5 I'll be one of the youngsters in the owners club!'

DS

Doc Strange

Legendary Knight
Been a bit bemused by the RS.

Wouldn't start the other day, but battery seemed OK. Went through checking everything, even removed starter motor and tested it, and everything seemed fine.

Put it back together and it started!

Well, at least I've learnt a bit about my new-for-me bike :)

And while I was putting it together, a nice chap was round ACF-50ing the GS.

DS

Scrappy

Legendary Knight
Nice! Did you get it home clean? I was out for a couple of hours this morning and all the bike needed was a quick wipe over with an oily rag when I got home. Most rides recently have required a full wash and detail afterwards.

Yes just a little crud on the front and underneath of the engine, other than that all good.

DD67

The Peace Keeper
Staff member
Roof down then?
Yep!
As is the case with most convertibles, the heater is like a blast furnace. Just select maximum heat, direct it at your legs & set the fan to 50%. The heat has to blow over your body on its way out of the car 😃

As I said to you the other day...
Compared with my previous kit cars. The fact it has doors (that lock) a heater, a stereo, a boot & a roof. Makes it almost luxurious & massively practical by comparison 🤣